This section provides a variety of information about Denbighshire’s Sports Development Team and how it operates.
The Denbighshire’s Sports Development team will take the lead initiative, working with key partners, to achieve the County's 'vision for Sport' and Service business plan.
Our Sports Development Team pride ourselves on hard work and innovation in delivering a 'menu of opportunities' for residents within Denbighshire. This year we have further developed the programme to include a Healthier Active Lifestyles development plan providing Denbighshire's residents the opportunity of a healthier lifestyle through physical activity. This includes activities such as Walk Fit, Jog Fit and Cycle fit which has already made a tremendous impact in the County.
Through our aims and objectives, the Sports Development team, continues to cater for all sporting needs regardless of whether you are a beginner, or accomplished athlete, potential coach or volunteer. We aim to strive for improvement on a continual basis and welcome any suggestions, ideas or comments on the level of service we offer.
- The Sports Development Team takes the lead with key partners to achieve the County’s ‘vision for sport’.
- The team delivers a ‘menu of opportunities’ for citizens of Denbighshire including the development of sport within schools, clubs and various organisations.
- The Sports Development team’s philosophy is to ensure that all children and young people and adults have the opportunity to participate in sustainable high quality sporting activities.
- Sports Development – increase participation through, school sports initiatives (in school and after school), quality coaching, player support and development, club development, performance and excellence, facility development and marketing.
- Community Sports Development – using sport as a vehicle for improving healthier lifestyles, social inclusion, education and lifelong learning, environmental development, economic regeneration and community safety.
- Education and Training – coach education, coach and volunteer development, mentoring support system, volunteer recruitment and retention programme.
Our young ambassador programme helps to develop young leaders and encourage people to take part in sport. They are selected due to their sporting talent, showing commitment or skills as young leaders or volunteers in sport.
Young Ambassador's roles
A young ambassador helps to:
- Encourage healthy lifestyles.
- Promote the positive values of sportsmanship.
- Encourage participation in PE, school and community sport.
- Review and suggest improvements to PE and sports in their schools and communities.
- Highlight national events to increase knowledge of sports and athletes.
- Link students with teachers, 5x60 officers and community clubs/coaches.
Join the Legacy Volunteer with Denbighshire Leisure Services.
Gain the best possible experience volunteering within Leisure in Denbighshire choosing or combining volunteer opportunities within
- Play (pre-school),
- Dragon sport (primary schools),
- 5x60 (secondary schools)
- Youth service (11-25 year olds) on projects such as the Duke of Edinburgh,
- Denbighshire Leisure Services,
- Local sport clubs and community clubs.
Whichever you choose you will be assigned to a dedicated mentor that will assist you with your aims and goals!